Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=AQ= Mage Class Overhaul

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> =AQ= Mage Class Overhaul
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/5/2024 13:07:44   
CarrionSpike

COMING THIS WEEK!

Mage Class Overhaul
Get ready for a nostalgic journey as we delve into the massive overhaul of your Mage class training! Whether you began your adventures mastering combat casting with Warlic or embraced battle magic after exploring other styles, it's time to bring fresh vitality to your magical prowess!

Limited-Time Shop - Happy Mother's Day!
Don't miss out on our Limited-Time Shop, specially curated to celebrate the Super Moms of AQ! Make this Mother's Day a celebration fit for a queen with new Queen Mother Scepter and Faces. Plus, discover delightful new Energy and classic variants of the beloved fairy godmother pet, ensuring that every moment is imbued with a touch of motherly charm.

Seize your opportunity to acquire any coveted gear from the Eclipse, April Fools, and Grenwog Festival shops before they leave this week!

Newsletter Link: https://mailchi.mp/artix.com/2024-mage-class-mothers-day

Other Notes:
  • Limited-Time Shops: Eclipse, April Fools, & Grenwog Festival - Leaving this week!
  • Limited-Time Z-Token Packages: Doomlight Sets & Sabertooth Grenwog - Leaving June 3rd!

Abra-ca-dab-Tag. ~Anim

< Message edited by AnimalKing -- 5/5/2024 14:30:23 >
  • Post #: 1
    5/5/2024 13:41:21   
    Jakau Ryuu

Ooh, that's exciting! Currently leveling a lowbie hybrid character and that recently got me thinking a bit about how old Mage feels, especially when contrasted in the same inventory against Fighter. (And Wizard, to a lesser extent, but that's a class for another season)

(incidentally, the introduction of the Warrior lean instantly made Knight better, that's been fun to play around with)
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 2
    5/5/2024 15:27:08   
    Aura Knight

One step closer to the other class hopefully.
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 3
    5/5/2024 15:55:26   
    Jakau Ryuu

^ For sure. If nothing else, it'll probably at least give us an idea of what we can expect down the line, and the Master Mage armor (I assume that's happening, at least, given Fighter and Archer) will probably have some interesting use in the meantime.
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 4
    5/6/2024 3:19:02   
    ming shuen

Yessss. Really happy to hear this. Glad to have another T1 class covered.

< Message edited by ming shuen -- 5/6/2024 7:20:07 >
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
    5/9/2024 15:32:44   
      The Hollow
    AQ Lead

Class updates represent some of the most substantial releases we can undertake in a week. I'm anticipating a Friday release, but I'll keep you folks updated if that changes!
    AQ  Post #: 6
    5/9/2024 17:02:52   
    Rastaban

Excellent! If this is like the others, it'll be very nice to have an additional spellcaster lean armor up at level 150 with some neat skills.
    Post #: 7
    5/9/2024 18:13:01   
    Sapphire

It's gonna be FD................apparently confirmed. idk man, idk
    Post #: 8
    5/9/2024 18:24:37   
    Rastaban

But it's literally the mage class.
    Post #: 9
    5/9/2024 18:53:37   
      Lorekeeper
    And Pun-isher

As the introductory mage class, Mage is meant to serve as an introduction to the curve of opening strong and then having a falloff. It's essentially a safe introduction to spellcasting. Don't worry, Spellcaster Lean gaps aren't being ignored -- this is a starter class, and has a defensive slant for learning purposes. It's far from the only mage build class, however, with Wizard and Archmage being shoe-ins for Spellcaster lean.
    Post #: 10
    5/9/2024 19:09:41   
    Rastaban

Surely the level 150 version is no longer considered introductory.
    Post #: 11
    5/9/2024 19:16:21   
    CarrionSpike

It's important to keep in mind that Spellcaster Lean only represents "FO" spellcasters, and that there are other types of spellcasters.
    Post #: 12
    5/9/2024 19:40:12   
      Lorekeeper
    And Pun-isher

Master armors are meant for the same build as the class they're a completion reward for. It would be a bit odd if Master Archer was a FO Ranger armor.
    Post #: 13
    5/9/2024 21:56:00   
    battlesiege15

Was it Mage class that used to be able to do damage based on the background that we were fighting in?
    AQ AQW  Post #: 14
    5/9/2024 22:22:10   
    Aura Knight

While it's a little sad to know the iconic art will be lost (unless we eventually get retro class armors), it will be neat to see how the update will allow a now ignored class to return to a state of usefulness. It sure had its influence those earlier days. I still remember the days of mage robe spellcasting.
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 15
    5/10/2024 6:57:39   
    Sapphire

FD certainly does take some excitement out of the release, and it is in large part because of the Master armor idea. Yeah, it doesn't make sense to have the actual class be one lean, then to change the master version's lean. But it does for sure certainly make the Master Armor come off as bad design for end game players. I will hold judgement ultimately until I see the actual release, but I have a hunch a FD lean Mage armor will simply be underwhelming. This would assume using wands, and wands are literally the least used weapon type in the entire game. Even though Dex's style bonus boosts wand damage, it still wound't make sense to use them over a ranged bow. Wand design needs an overhaul, and this class in theory should be using the worst weapon type in the entire game. I sort of agree with Carrion in that SC lean is the offensive caster style, but this is just not exciting.

This can be made up for if items in the class shop got some revamps, too, which tbh, I was looking forward to more than the class revamp/master armor release anyway. This could salvage any disappointments IMO, but that remains to be seen. I just find it hilarious we've never seen a generic spell booster weapon since Sila's staff after all these years. One in a wand would be ok by me, too. Will this be the time this specific item feature finally stops being ignored?

< Message edited by Sapphire -- 5/10/2024 10:56:22 >
    Post #: 16
    5/10/2024 11:22:06   
    Zennistrad

I don't think FD is nearly as disappointing as some are making it out to be. Fully-Defensive armors can still be very powerful for Mage builds if they have the right utility — the Seraphim of Ver armor is my go-to light armor on my mage character because the compressed BtH boost quickcast is extremely helpful, and it still manages to have one of the more potent Light nukes in the game.

While I think the Master Mage Armor is unlikely to have anything nearly as powerful as something you'd find in a GGB, I still expect it'll have some decent options.

My main question is what element its going to be - I'm hoping for Wind since mages don't currently have any good Spellcaster-lean options for that element that aren't premium.
    AQ  Post #: 17
    5/10/2024 11:48:59   
    Sapphire

I think it will be water. Water tends to be the default element for magical things. I don't think they'll make that decision based on gapfilling as much as they will to ensure thematic flavor makes sense. Unfortuneatly, these two don't always match. (usually don't actually) and it's an issue.

Water based Magy stuff:

Celtic wheel-first INT drive
    Archmage Apprentice- Water element
    Gandolphin-First mana barrier
    Mana bat guest-water guest that heals MP
    Zfinity Gauntlet:Mind-water protection and is MP heal misc
    mana staff-water weapon that heals MP

This is just off the top of my head

So I predict water
    Post #: 18
    5/10/2024 15:03:01   
      The Hollow
    AQ Lead

It seems we'll need one more day, and the class Mage update should roll out on Saturday!

Happy Mother's Day! Players can now stop by the Limited-Time Shop to find tons of new and returning gear as we celebrate the moms of AQ!

< Message edited by The Hollow -- 5/10/2024 15:03:01 >
    AQ  Revisions: 1 | Post #: 19
    5/11/2024 11:43:52   
      Zorbak
    Ebil Moglin!

Mehehehe! Due to unforeseen spectral interference with the armror and boss, and a nasty bout of food poisoning, the Mage release will need to be delayed until next week.
    AQ  Post #: 20
    5/11/2024 12:06:43   
    battlesiege15

Zorbak, you should update your Bag o' Bones spell someday
    AQ AQW  Post #: 21
    5/11/2024 12:38:15   
    ming shuen

Why not add a lean-switching toggle into the Master Armour? This way, it can be both Fully Defensive and a Spellcaster armour.
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 22
    5/11/2024 13:15:19   
    Aura Knight

quote:

Mage release will need to be delayed until next week

Oh no the Archmage curse is affecting other classes.
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 23
    5/11/2024 13:19:35   
      Lorekeeper
    And Pun-isher

As mentioned above, Master armors are meant to be for the same build as the base class. Adding a lean toggle to this one would be unfair to non-mages, while adding it to all of them would still risk unfairness in picking which skill to replace with the toggle. Simply adding it as a third skill may seem appealing, but we'd be stepping on the kind of power that master armors for T2 classes might have. Either of these methods would also be doubly unfair to Rangers, whose offensive and defensive identities are too different for the skills of Archer and Rogue to work for their opposite builds. It's only fair to let FD players have some gear that's mainly for them and still perfectly usable by others.
    Post #: 24
    5/13/2024 14:19:09   
      The Hollow
    AQ Lead

quote:

Zorbak, you should update your Bag o' Bones spell someday

I agree, that is such a fun concept for a spell! I'll see what can be done to motivate him into action.

We've made significant progress and there's a chance the Mage class update may be ready to roll out later today. Depending on our testing results and any unexpected issues we may encounter!
    AQ  Post #: 25
    Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> =AQ= Mage Class Overhaul
    Page 1 of 212>
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition